Wednesday, April 9, 2014

A Hearty Bowl of Goodness


I had never tried chili before moving to America. I never really knew what it consisted of. I think it even took me a couple of years before I had my first steaming bowl. But when I finally did, I was hooked from my first spoonful. The earthy, spicy goodness is like a hug in a bowl. I can't get enough!

I first made my own chili when I was pregnant with Olivia. I have made so many tweaks and additions that I can't even remember where my first attempt came from. But here is my current version if you would like to try it...

FAVOURITE CHILI

Ingredients
500g ground beef
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 small red capsicum, chopped
2 teaspoons crushed garlic
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 teaspoon paprika (optional)
1 tablespoon olive oil
coarse salt and ground pepper, to taste
1 avocado, mashed, for serving
Sour cream, for serving

Method
In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion, carrot, celery and capsicum and cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
Add beef, season with salt and pepper, and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
Add turmeric, cumin, oregano, chilli flakes and paprika (if using). Cook, stirring, until mixture is fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add tomatoes and rinsed beans. Bring to a boil over high; reduce to a simmer, and cook until chilli is slightly thickened, about 30 minutes.
Serve with mashed avocado and sour cream.


I will always continue to make tweaks and adjustments as I go along, but one thing is for sure... chili will forever be in our regular weeknight rotation.

No comments:

Post a Comment